Thursday, September 10, 2009

459th Birthday of my 12th Great Grandfather, Richard Chatfield I

Richard Chatfield I was born 10 September 1500 in Bedyles, Sussex, England and was the eldest child of John Chatfield (ca 1475-1560) and Alice Stapley (b. ca 1475).  He was the eldest of three known sons of this family.   He was a landed individual and a "gentleman", but seemingly lacking in formal noble title.  He was a generous contributor to Chichester Cathedral and was buried in the east end of the church in July of 1586. Unfortunately, his monument did not survive the turmoil of the English reformation, and there is no longer any visible memorial in the cathedral.
His will, recorded in the year 1582 reads:
The will of RICHARD CHAFYLLD of the City of Chichester, gent., 24 October 1582. My Body to be buried in the Cathedral Church of Chichester, against the library in the east end of said church, decently and honestly. My will is that Francis my son, for and in consideration of my former goods and cattell shall see my body honestly buryed at his cost and charges according to his promise. I give 10s to a preacher to preach at my burial. To Joane Est, my daughter, 20s. To Anne Kynswell 10s. The residue of all my goods and cattell, my debts paid and legacies performed, I give to Agnes my wife, whom I make my executrix. I desire Mr. Henry Blaxton and Dr. Daniell Gardener, residentiaries of the Cathedral Church of Chichester, to be overseers and to be a comfort and stay of my wife, and I give to them 10s apiece. Witnesses: Henry Blaxton, Daniell Gardener, Richard Juxon and Thomas Macyn [signed] Richard Chatfulld. This my very last will was read to me 18 june 1585 in presence of John Base, Henry Clerk and John Brown, to whom I confessed it to be my last will.  Proved 7 October 1586 by Agnes, the relict and executrix.

No comments:

Post a Comment